Trust holding encompasses 188 acres donated in 1929 by the
first Lady Fairhaven and her two sons in memory of Urban Hanlon
Broughton; and 110 acres of broadleaved woodland on Coopers Hill Slopes
given in 1963 by Egham Urban District Council. (In April 1974 the
Council was subsumed within Runnymede Borough.)
Near Magna Carta Island on the north-east flood plain in park land are
Ankerwycke and the ruins of the 12th Century Priory of St Mary's. The
Thames has changed course regularly and these areas may once have been
an integral part of Runnymede and except for Magna Carta Island were
acquired by the National Trust in 1998.
The text and
images shown here are an enhanced version of the Runnymede
page created on Wikipedia by WyrdLight in October 2008.